For my dinner party last weekend I wanted a light salad course — something easy to assemble, but also healthy and refreshing — to come before the main course (cioppino, a fish stew), so I came up with this combination. Massaging the arugula in olive oil and lemon takes the bite out of it and also gives it a nice, smooth texture. Besides: what’s cooking without getting your hands a little dirty?
Since I was busy prepping the stew, I didn’t have time to toast the pine nuts, but I bet that would add a lot more flavor. I’d also shave the fennel next time, instead of chopping — so I’m moving that good ‘ol mandoline back to the top of my TV Dinner shopping list.
- couple big handfuls of arugula
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved on a mandoline
- 1 grapefruit, quartered
- handful of pine nuts
- drizzle of balsamic glaze
- In a bowl, massage arugula with olive oil and lemon juice with your hands until well-coated, then plate.
- Add fennel, grapefruit and pine nuts on top.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve!
A Recipe From Jamie Stelter | www.thetvdinner.com