A few weeks ago we had dinner at our friends Noah and Marissa’s apartment and (for our first course) he made us this sensational salad. I know kale salad feels a little played out considering there’s one on every restaurant menu these days, but this one is different. This one is better. This one bursts with flavor and texture and sweetness so addicting that while I was eating it I asked for the recipe. (I usually wait til the next day / as part of a thank you note.) I then made it at home three times over the next two weeks. Twice I made it as a starter dish, and the third time I decided to go crazy and put a piece of mahi mahi on top (as seen below) and serve it as an entree. And now as I type this I’m dreaming up a way to make it again this week and still have it seem new and exciting.
While I do, there’s something else new and exciting… quasi-related to this meal: since having dinner at their apartment, Noah and Marissa had a beautiful baby daughter Eden Allie Coslov. She is the sweetest little lovebug who, while a bit young for this kale salad now, will one day be so lucky to eat all of their delicious cooking.
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 3 naval oranges, cut into chunks without skin
- 1 big bunch of kale (8-10 cups, de-stemmed)
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- 2 handfuls of pumpkin seeds, toasted (best in a small dry skillet for just a few minutes)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak sliced shallots in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes.
- Meantime combine syrup, olive oil, orange segments, salt and pepper in bottom of a big bowl. I squeezed a few of the orange segments to give some juice into the dressing.
- Toss kale in dressing/oranges until smooth and completely covered. I use my hands and massage the dressing in for best results.
- Add shallots and toasted pumpkin seeds and toss. Serve and enjoy!
A Recipe From Jamie Stelter | www.thetvdinner.com