It’s time for episode 6 of TV Dinner and one of my favorite meals to cook at home: spicy corn salad with shrimp and avocado. You know I love me some Mexican food. But unfortunately it’s not always the healthiest cuisine. In fact it’s usually not. Which is why my friend Falcon, a chef and restaurant consultant, was the perfect guest for this episode because he specializes in making low-cal, healthier versions of our favorite foods.
For his wife Gita, a friend of mine who works in restaurant PR, he makes a special kale puttanesca whenever she’s craving her beloved Italian red sauce. Good husband, right? She says it beats her cravings for a big bowl of pasta, which we can all relate to. He says it has the same great taste and texture, but none of the guilt. (Don’t worry, I plan on making it with him one day and posting the recipe here.)
Meantime, try this spicy corn salad with shrimp and avocado and let me know what you think.
- 2 ears of corn (taken off cob, or 1 can)
- 1 bunch of scallions, sliced thin (green parts only)
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- smoked paprika
- 2 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 TBSP vegenaise
- 2-3 squirts of sriracha
- 5 cooked shrimp per person, peeled
- 1 avocado per person, diced
- Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and let brown a bit, then add corn and cook until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with smoked paprika then saute another minute or two.
- Turn off the stovetop and add scallions, vegenaise, and sriracha and stir well.
- Plate corn mixture, then without cleaning pan, turn stove back on and add shrimp. Toss to warm up in leftover seasoning, about 2-3 minutes.
- Plate atop the corn, with avocado on the side. Enjoy!
A Recipe From Jamie Shupak | www.thetvdinner.com