Seven weeks into eating Paleo and I must say it’s gotten infinitely easier, in part because my ankle’s starting to feel much better. I think I finally crossed the threshold of not wanting any grains or sugar anymore… and I was even faced with a platter of avocado toast on english muffins this past weekend. I was so proud of myself; I scraped the citrus-y, salty pile of avocado right into my mouth and didn’t pout for a second over the long lost carbs. (It’s amazing what loses its appeal when you know it could be hurting you.) But even though the few forkfuls were delicious, it wasn’t enough.
Perhaps one of the most simple salads to make — and also one of the most beautiful and delicious. The bite of the arugula is softened with a touch of olive oil and lemon… then sweetened with the grapefruit… then juxtaposed with the shaved fennel. Add a little crunch with those pine nuts and your taste buds are in heaven. Serve it as a first course or add a little protein (shrimp, white fish, tofu…?) and you’ve got yourself an A+ dinner.
- couple big handfuls of arugula
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved on a mandoline
- 1 grapefruit, quartered
- handful of pine nuts
- drizzle of balsamic glaze
- In a bowl, massage arugula with olive oil and lemon juice with your hands until well-coated, then plate.
- Add fennel, grapefruit and pine nuts on top.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve!
A Recipe From Jamie Stelter | www.thetvdinner.com